Baby blanket sew along - steps 1 & 2

Today I'm sewing along with my daughter Rachel.  I'm in SoCal and she's in Utah.  We both need to have a supply of gifts for baby showers, so we decided to make some baby blankets.  Flannel is nice for the fall, so that's what I'm working on today.

This is the fabric I chose.

Step 1:  Pre-wash the flannel.  It changes its shape after you wash and dry it, and you wouldn't want that to happen to the finished blanket.  I'm kind of picky and I like my blankets to fold up nice and straight, and not with the sides all ski-wampus.  So---pre-wash.

 Step 2:  Cut the fabric.  I want my blanket to be square so I folded it like this.

 Then fold again by bringing the lower left corner up to the top right corner.

Then fold again by bringing the lower right corner up to the top right corner.

Now cut, but be sure to cut at a right angle.  I used my square ruler for this because it has the right markings.  I also cut in far enough to cut off the selvage.  If you don't have this exact ruler, you could use a right angle from the husbands' tool shed, or just use the lines on you table.  Get it straight though!!

I want my corners slightly rounded.

Comments

Popular Posts